Student visa requirements for Canada

Most students studying for more than 6 months in Canada will need a Canadian Study Permit, as Canadian student visas are known. Students studying for 6 months or less do not need a Study Permit, but will need to apply for one if they wish to extend their studies or begin another course after their initial studies end.

Canadian Study Permits allow full time international students in Canada to work on or off campus for up to 20 hours per week.

For international students, Canada offers you a high quality and affordable education, the opportunity of working whilst you study and after you graduate, as well as the benefit of transitioning to Canada as a permanent resident and then citizen. Every year, more than 200,000 top international students and researchers from over 200 countries come to Canada to study at elementary and high school, universities and colleges. Studying in Canada takes careful preparation and planning.

Frequently Asked Questions

I want to study in Canada. How can Morgan Consultancy Services help me?
Finding the right course of study and the right educational institution can be a daunting process. We make it easy for you by offering the following services to students seeking entry to high school, undergraduate, postgraduate diploma and Master’s degree programs:
Canadian career development and exploration services
Academic counselling and admission processing
Student visa processing & visa processing for accompanying parents & siblings
In- Canada renewal of study permits, temporary resident visas, and work permits
Processing of permanent residence visas for international graduates in Canada
How do I find out information about studying in Canada?
You can get information from various sources. These include the following:
Citizenship & Immigration Canada at
The Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos, Nigeria (
The World Wide Web. If you have access to the Internet, you can conduct an electronic search by keyword for specific institutions and programs
High school, college and university calendars. These usually provide information about specific institutions, programs of study, entrance requirements, student services, housing, tuition fees and other costs, scholarships, language requirements, visa requirements, and a variety of other subjects of interest to prospective students.
Must I study on a full-time basis?
At high school, you are required to study full-time. For post-secondary education you can study full-time or part-time. You should note that there are certain benefits that are available only to full-time students. You will require a study permit whether or not your studies are on a full-time or part-time basis.
Will the certification I receive after finishing my study program be recognized in other countries?
A certificate, diploma or degree from an accredited Canadian institution will be recognized by educators, employers and institutions around the world. To find out if the institution where you plan to study is accredited, you should contact the university directly.
What programs of study do you assist students gain admission to?
We place students into the following programs:

University preparatory program
College university transfer program (includes associate degree)
Collaborative degree program (combined college and university postsecondary program but not University transfer)
Applied degree
Bachelor’s degree
First professional degree
Master’s qualifying year
Master’s degree
University graduate-level certificate or diploma

How much money will I need during my studies in Canada?

You will need money to cover tuition fees, books, transportation, housing and personal living expenses for yourself and any accompanying dependents. You will also need funds to pay for the return transportation for both yourself and your dependents. Tuition fees generally range from CAD 6,000 to CAD 25,000 per year for undergraduate programs and CAD 6,500 to CAD 32,000 per year for graduate program. Some programs such as Medicine, Veterinary Medicine and Dentistry may be more expensive.

In addition, Citizenship and Immigration Canada guidelines require you to have additional CAD $10, 000 per year, not including tuition fees, to cover your living expenses. If your dependents are planning to accompany or join you, you will require more funds for them. Proof of funds is only necessary for the first year of studies. However, visa officers will want to be satisfied that the probability of funding for future years does exist.

Can I get a scholarship or bursary to study in Canada?

Yes, Canadian institutions offer financial aid in the form of scholarships, bursaries, on campus jobs, teaching assistantships, administrative assistantships, research assistantships, internships and the like. The amount varies depending on the program type and level of study. Financial aid offerings are competitive and you will need to demonstrate exceptional academic and extracurricular skills.

If you require financial support, you should begin making inquiries and applications at least one year before the beginning of your program. Information can be obtained by writing directly to the office of financial aid and awards of the institution you plan to attend.

I am a mature student. Can my spouse and child come with me to Canada, or visit me at a later date?
If you wish for your spouse and / or child to accompany you to Canada or to join you at a later date, you must provide proof that you will be able to support them. You will be required to provide proof of additional funding and/ or savings. Your dependents will also be required to demonstrate to a visa officer that they have sufficient ties to Nigeria to ensure their departure from Canada at the end of their authorized stay.
My 16 year old child is planning to travel to Canada to study. Does he need a guardian or custodian?
All minor applicants must have a custodian. Your child must supply notarized declarations, one of which will be signed by his parents or legal guardians in the country of origin, as well as one signed by the custodian in Canada, stating that arrangements have been made for the custodian to act in place of a parent. The appointed custodian must reside within a reasonable distance to your child’s intended residence and school.
I do not have any family members in Canada. How can you assist me to supervise my child in Canada?
We have a team of Canadian residents who provide custodian and guardianship services for minor children.
Will your firm help me with pre departure formalities?
Yes, MCS will organize a pre-departure orientation program which will help you successfully transition to life as a student in Canada. We will address topics ranging from cross-cultural issues to opening bank accounts, purchasing cell phone plans, purchasing medical insurance, foreign exchange and much more.

MCS’ school placement service has resulted in students being accepted into some of Canada’s top schools. Admission requirements vary across programs and institutions.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a transit visa?
may not need a transit visa if you are travelling to or from the United States.
How do I get a transit visa?
may not need a transit visa if you are travelling to or from the United States.
How do I get a transit visa?
may not need a transit visa if you are travelling to or from the United States.
How do I get a transit visa?
may not need a transit visa if you are travelling to or from the United States.
How do I get a transit visa?
may not need a transit visa if you are travelling to or from the United States.

The Canadian government encourages business visitors and delegations to come to Canada to grow trade and commerce. Business visitors come to buy Canadian goods or services, attend meetings, conferences, conventions or trade fairs, to invest in Canada or to advance existing business relationships.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who May Apply?
To be considered a business visitor you must meet Canada’s basic entry requirements. You must also show that you do not plan to enter the Canadian labour market. Your main place of business and source of income must be located outside Canada and the profits from your business must accrue outside Canada. Business visitors apply for a temporary resident visa just like any visitor to Canada. You must plan to stay for less than six months and you must have documents that support your application. You will require a letter of invitation from a potential business partner in Canada and contact details for that person. The letter must include information about you and also about the person who is extending the invitation.
How Do I Apply?
You can choose to apply online or on paper. In order to apply, you have to download the application package, pay the application fees and submit the package including all the forms, supporting documents and fee as per the guidelines.
How can MCS help me?
Through our business consulting services, we help genuine Nigerian business people identify Canadian business opportunities and potential partners. We organize delegations to Canada, arrange the itinerary for business visits to trade fairs, conferences and convention and provide documentation in support of the visit. Our services include visa processing, arranging hotel accommodation, airport transfer, business2business meetings, recreational tours and more.
What professional fees does your firm charge?
Please contact us for the most up-to-date information.
I have a multiple-entry visa which I used to visit a relative in Canada last year. Can I use it to travel to Canada on a business trip?
Yes you can. You should make sure that the visa is still valid and that you have documents that support your business visit to Canada.

If you are the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can receive a super-visa which is valid for up to 10 years and which will allow you to remain in Canada for up to 24 months at a time without the need for renewal of your status.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who May Apply?
You may apply if you are a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You must provide proof of your relationship to your Canadian relative, pass an immigration medical examination and provide proof of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that meets the published criteria.
You must also provide a written and signed promise of financial support, from your host child or grandchild for the entire duration of time you intend to stay in Canada. Your host should meet the minimum income threshold known as the low income cut-off, or LICO. You must also meet the general standards for admission to Canada.
How Do I Apply?
You can apply for your super-visa either online or on paper. The application package should include all the forms and supporting documents from you and your host as well as the application fee.
How can MCS help me?
Our services include assessing your host’s income against the low-income-cut- off requirement, arranging medical insurance coverage through our associated service provider, and processing of the visa.
What professional fees does your firm charge?
Please contact us for the most up-to-date information.
I have a current permanent residence application in place. Can I apply for a super visa instead?
Yes, you can still apply for a super visa.
I want my parents to come to Canada on a Super Visa. How do I calculate my family size? Whom should I include?
You should include yourself, your spouse, your dependants as well as any other person whom you are currently sponsoring or co-signing for. You should also include the parents or grandparents that you are seeking super visas for.

Canada’s standard of living, job opportunities and natural beauty are all part of the reasons why many students who complete their studies choose to remain in Canada and to enter the Canadian workforce.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I stay in Canada and become a permanent resident and citizen following completion of my studies?
You cannot remain in Canada indefinitely on a study permit. You will have to apply to become a permanent resident of Canada under any of the programs that you may be eligible for. These include the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Class or any of the Provincial Nominee Programs. After you have been a permanent resident, you can apply for citizenship if you meet the conditions for this.


We Have Been Assisting In Canadian Visa Applications For Educational and Career Opportunities
morgan MCS 3D logo

About Us

For many years, our team of consultants, lawyers and other support staff in Nigeria and Canada have been serving individuals, families and corporations from many different countries. Our wide range of knowledge, experience and expertise ensures that you receive advice and representation that you can trust.


Copyright © 2020 Morgan Consultancy Services
Built with love by Cue Digitals